International Association of Penturners - View Single Post - How did you learn to turn?
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2017, 08:53 AM   #9 (permalink)
JimB

Photos: 11

I took a 6 hour class at Rockler that was taught by Kurt Hertzog and then bought my lathe. The folks at Woodcraft were also extremely helpful. About a year later I took a bowl turning class through the Adult Continuing Education at the local High School. It went for 8 Mondays for 3 hours each day.

I also joined a local club and have been a member for almost 10 years. I am currently the Treasurer for the club and it is a chapter of the AAW. The members are extremely helpful and willing to help anyone with any questions or problems. Many of them will invite you to their shop to teach you. We have a Mentor Program that is a list of members that any member can contact for help. I'm not one of the mentors but I have taught several members how to turn.

Although I don't disagree with your conclusion I also don't agree with it. Yes, you can learn on your own but you will be amazed how much you learn by spending time, hands-on, with another turner. I am certainly not an expert at turning but I am a much, much better Turner because of the people I have spent time with.
JimB is offline   Reply With Quote Top