International Association of Penturners - View Single Post - How did you learn to turn?
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2017, 06:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
WriteON

Photos: 0

I watched a few YouTubes before I bought any equipment. I understood what was happening. From there I learned from mistakes..corrected them and stuck with whatever technique was working. I worked with wood...got bored after 6 months and changed to acrylic.
I was fortunate to find IAP. Extremely helpful. The members here are 100% supportive.
I pass by PSI in Pa once a week during the Summer. The people there are fun to chat with...would answer questions about tools/technique. They are woodworkers not salesman so there is never any pressure to purchase anything.
I'm a dental technician by trade..... I sat in front of a Baldor and Red Wing ...trimmed and polished acrylic for a lifetime...that helped with turning.
Here we are about 4 years later and everyday is day 1.
I inspired a relative to turn...he got set up...sells pens/stoppers at shows. It's great feeling to pass it on.
Yes to It's not how you turn it's the result...and safety first each and every time. Protect yourself before the lathe gets turned on.
Good thread!!

Current set up:
a pair of Jet 1015VS
Jet 1221VS
MidAmericaPool Taig professional pool cue repair lathe....that somehow gets involved with pen blanks.
WriteON is offline   Reply With Quote Top