International Association of Penturners - View Single Post - Have you been burnt out
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2017, 08:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
SteveAxelrod

Photos: 168

I know the focus of IAP is pens and I love turning pens but there are so mnay other things to turn...how can you resist? I've also just started casting my own pen blanks (and razor handles and razor stands and shaving brush handles). All you need is a 5" piece of 3/4" PVC pipe, a pint of polyester resin you can buy for $12 with a coupon from JoAnn Fabrics or Michaels and a few little jars of Pearlex in your favorite colors and you're in business. Easy peasy and your only limitation is your imagination. There's all kinds of things you can throw into your casting...acorn caps, pine cones, coffee beans, sweet gum pods, pieces of any kind of wood you like (break up some of your wood cutoffs and toss them in). There are YouTube videos galore on casting.
I just made my first cutting board and now everyone wants one. A trip to Woodcraft netted me a bunch of 3/4" x 3" x 3' boards in 8 different woods - all 50% off for the holiday weekend. Tuesday I'm going to buy a Harbor Freight planer with a 25% off coupon and then I'll have to build a new bench for it.

I've got 3 pen kits with tubes glued up and waiting to go. Now when I wake up I have a choice of what I want to work on that day. Maybe a little diversification would help reinvigorate you guys?
SteveAxelrod is offline   Reply With Quote Top