Robert Sorby Pro Edge

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

George883

I recently purchased a Sorby Pro Edge sharpening system and would like to know what turners are using it. How you like it or don't. Any tips or tricks for better sharpening. Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

I have one and I really like it. I don't really have any tips other than watch the online videos they have. It works well and the learning curve is not all that steep.

hooked

I have one and love it. I purchased a couple of the add-on jigs, and I find the system really easy to use. I even use it to sharpen knives with the knife jig and Trizact belts

My only tip would be to put a couple of strong magnets at the bottom plate below the belt. The magnets catch all the swarf coming off the belt. I just wipe down the magnets when needed and don't have to deal with the mess.

George883

I have one and love it. I purchased a couple of the add-on jigs, and I find the system really easy to use. I even use it to sharpen knives with the knife jig and Trizact belts

My only tip would be to put a couple of strong magnets at the bottom plate below the belt. The magnets catch all the swarf coming off the belt. I just wipe down the magnets when needed and don't have to deal with the mess.
Thanks.

George883

How do you know when the belt is worn? Thanks.

bsshog40

I have one and love it also. The online videos are great. I bought all the knife sharpening jigs for it also but haven't used them yet. I even sharpen my lawnmower blades on it. Lol Btw, how do I know when the belt gets worn? When it breaks. Lol

randyrls

My Tip applies to ALL sharpening. Use a Magnum sharpie to mark the bevel(s) of the tool to see if you have the plate angle set correctly. True for any jig you use. Coat the bevel with sharpie. Touch the tool to the sharpening surface. If it touches the tip or the heel first, adjust the angle until you get a smooth touch over the entire bevel. One final pass should do it!

George883

My Tip applies to ALL sharpening. Use a Magnum sharpie to mark the bevel(s) of the tool to see if you have the plate angle set correctly. True for any jig you use. Coat the bevel with sharpie. Touch the tool to the sharpening surface. If it touches the tip or the heel first, adjust the angle until you get a smooth touch over the entire bevel. One final pass should do it!
Thanks. I did that with my One Way system all the time.

George883

Thanks. At least I'll know when the belt is worn. So far I'm liking it.

hooked

How do you know when the belt is worn? Thanks.
As you use it, you will get a feel for it. When I feel much less friction when sharpening, when it takes a lot longer to get the tool sharp, and I see no sparks, I typically change my belt.

I like the 120 blue belt for my turning tools.

Top Bottom